Saturday, March 15, 2014

So proud!!!

Mugsy had a bath this afternoon and afterwards ate supper. I realized we were out of dog food. I could not go to our regular place where we purchase food because it's Saturday and it was closed already; so I decided Mugs was ready for a trip to Petsmart. This is a big step for him!
I have been noticing a transformation in Mugsy.  It's like watching stress simply evaporating off of him little by little -- day by day!
Today his walk went so great. Head up more and a good listener. Both Mugsy and Parson walked together. They both enjoy a quick paced walk. It's like having a team of matched ponies!!!
So anyway, back to Mugsy's big Petsmart trip...
He was all set to go! Bath done AND he sat calmly for his blow dry. Another huge improvement for him. Back in January when I tried to blow dry him he was afraid-- now he sat just as calmly as could be up on the counter. I brushed  him and he never moved or whined. I put a little coat on Mugsy just to make him look "adorable" and we took a picture before we left to capture his big "outing" adventure into a public place.  
The drive to Petsmart in the car went phenomenal!!! Mugsy did not whine and  he did not fidget... he sat calmly in the car as long as I had one hand on him. This is huge! Lots of progress in his car riding :-) When we got to Petsmart I made him "wait" until I was ready to get out and open the door and then I let him jump out of the car after I said "okay". 
Mugsy did not bark at anybody in the parking lot and he stuck right next to me. When we walked in we just took a little tour around the aisles...he looked a little nervous wanting me to pick him up but we just kept going and he explored. Eventually I got a cart as we needed to pick out the dog food and I put him inside to make shopping a little easier. He sat calmly in the cart next to my humongous purse!  We also were looking for a harness so both dogs had one as I like to have harnesses when we go on walks. Success in finding both items! After we had our purchases I let him get out and walk around and purposefully walked past some dogs-- he did well! A little girl wanted to pet him while we stood in line to check out. I told her she could but I held onto his nose while she petted the top of his head just to keep him under control. He sat calmly the entire time! People kept commenting how "cute" he was while we were on our visit :)!! Which of course he is!!! When we put our things in the car and it was time for him to settle into his seat he actually laid down. I did not even have to keep my hand on him.  During the drive home he slept in the passenger seat! 
It is so great to see the transformation taking place in Mugsy--he is settling down more each day after all the trials he has been through ...from heartworm to the long transport up from Alabama to being put on prednisone to leaving my house and being returned. He is on his way to becoming a very normal and balanced dog. I am soooo proud of Mugsy!!! 
The drive to Petsmart. At a stop light. 
Riding in the shopping cart. 
Sniffing toys! Buy me that BIG one, pleeeease!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment