Saturday, June 25, 2016

Working with Piper

When Piper got released from the Amish Mill a week ago she did a lot of hiding in the house. She still does but not as much. I also had to carry her everywhere. She is still scared but at least will walk on a leash. Here is a snippet of her in one of her fearful states! Very typical reactions for a mill dog! Bolting out of her kennel (I feed her in the kennel as then she eats the best), scrambling out of fear and looking to escape. What to do? Approach her backwards. Keep a leash on her. Keep talking so she learns happy sounding language and repeat words. I want her to learn "outside". I always say "up up" when I lift her (she can climb up the stairs but not down). She is making progress but it takes time. I hope in a few weeks we look back on this video and see a different Piper. A two year old dog usually loves the word OUTSIDE! The mill certainly has taken its toll! We will keep trying to help Piper as best we can. She's doing great! What a love!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment