Monday, June 23, 2014

Kennedy

Volunteer Pam and daughters met me at a McDonald's restaurant so I only had to drive part way from Green Bay to pick up Kennedy. How nice of them!
Here are Pam's daughters saying "goodbye" to their sweet little passenger!
We then headed north to GB. (Hopefully Kennedy is a Packer fan!)


He was a very quiet and good rider in the crate all the way. 
I parked in my garage and I open the door to let him out...
...and he slowly stepped out ...sniffed the grass a bit and promptly laid down.Ha! So much for a grand entrance. :)
Kennedy looked lost... and why wouldn't he be feeling rather uncomfortable... he came from a house in AL where a person hoarded dogs. He was used to having his friends around. Make that LOTS of his friends around!!! Being alone in a yard is kinda scary for adorable Kennedy. We can fix that!!!
Out comes Parson to the rescue!!!
I've never seen a dog literally jump for joy like Kennedy did. It was incredible! He was SO SUPER HAPPY to see Parson!!! They played almost immediately. Here they are just sniffing noses after running around. :)
They are having a great time playing a game of chase and sniff and run!  Happy friends already.  Kennedy is very shy of people but LOVES other dogs. I am so happy he is feeling more comfortable with Parson as his buddy to show him the ropes!
Taking a rest! He found a bone. Kennedy likes bones! What a cute pink tongue... Pant, pant! (notice the  fluff... our Cottonwood tree is in full snow attack... UGH... worst tree ever!)
Doing some exploring! Snooping around, Kennedy quickly found the doggy path through the flowers! "Peek a boo", he says!
Still keeping his distance from the people. He just isn't sure about us. That's ok!!! Isn't he so pretty and what a c-u-t-e face!!! His coat is salt and pepper. Lovely!
I eventually carried him inside the house as he was afraid to enter. He got very close but just couldn't get those back paws to step over the threshold! Ha! (I will need to keep on his leash). 
"Hey Kennedy...we are having some AWESOME treats! . Better get in line before Parson gets all the goodies"!

Closer...
Still a little closer...
Did it! Yay!!!
Good boy, Kennedy. Even a shy dog can't resist roast beef! :)
Kennedy needs a bubble bath. He stands as still as a statue. Wonderful! Didn't even shake and get me all wet when he was finished. Now that's a first!
Drip drying in the kitchen. Hiding often under a table… now that's a safe place. He is sitting nearby though and is very happy to take as many treats as offered LOL!
One last trip outside for potty and everybody is "tuckered out" and "tucked in". Kennedy is so very quiet in his kennel and went right in. 
I'm hoping he enjoys his comfy bed and has sweet doggy dreams his first night here. Nighty night!
GOOD MORNING!
 It HAS been good! 1. Kennedy slept perfectly all night. 2. He did his business outside. 3. He ate breakfast all up 4. He does not mind his harness 5. He is letting me pet him and liking it!!! :)!

So let's back up. Kennedy was not interested in his breakfast at first and was being very shy. Hmmmm! Well, a way to a shy dogs heart is through his stomach. Right?! Nothing like a little beef gravy mixed with doggy food to perk a guy up. Worked like a charm! He has been licking the bowl even after the food is gone!

He has also started to enjoy petting and is not shying away as much. Here he is coming to me and his tail is wagging!!! (He is very shy of  my husband... poor John... the dogs are often nervous around him)
But big break through for me! I am very happy Kennedy is feeling like he and I can be friends. Must be my Sponge Bob jammie's-- now who doesn't like and trust Sponge Bob?! Haha!
Kennedy even put his paws up on my lap.That is really great to see!
He loves to play with toys and loves bones too. He did try and snitch a pillow off a bench and carried my husband's leather shoe under the table! So he does  have a little mischief in him! :) He has never marked or pottied in the house to this point. I'm impressed!
Kennedy does not transition well though from room to room. I have to pick him up to move him around. Upstairs, outside, living room. His favorite "hideout" right now is under the kitchen table. He does not walk on a leash. The harness is helping quite a bit! The wonderful thing about Kennedy is that he never growls-- he is so sweet! His new "life"  must be very overwhelming for him-- so many changes-- even with all that he is coming around and I think he is doing just great!!!!
After I came home from work in the afternoon we spent lots of time outside. Here he has a tennis ball. He does not fetch yet but shows some interest. 
Playing around and "kicking" the ball!
Just a sweet picture of Kenners (aka Kennedy). 
He loves to be under things! Tables, chairs, bushes... you name it!!! Here he is under the outside patio chair keeping cool in the shade!
I think I started something, lol! Tummy rubs are now his favorite! He is making lots of progress with becoming comfortable with people. Tummy rubs are definitely helping him relax. He is even starting to walk into the house from outside without being carried! 
At the end of the day Kennedy is sitting at our feet while we watch TV. Wow!!! Kennedy is improving hourly. He is still jumpy and nervous. Pacing in and out of rooms and jumping at sudden movements BUT he has improved incredibly! He is moving on his own from room to room-- loves jumping up on my bed to lay on it--he let's me pet him and I have removed his leash because he no longer needs to be "caught". He comes out of bushes on his own. I would have never believed this morning how far he would improve by bed time. After today's advances I can hardly wait to see what tomorrow brings!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment