Thursday, April 20, 2017

LOTS of information!!!

Busy afternoon for D and D!! They went to the groomer and had a bath, face trim, nails cut and personal groom. They smell clean! They are so tirrrrred!! Darcie is sleeping sitting up! Dougie is not even trying to hide it! Ha!! Head down. He's just chilling! 💤 

Darcie and Dougie have been here approximately one week. Here is a summary of what I've observed so far:

Temperament: Darcie is the more high strung of the two. She has some anxiety when she cannot be by her person. She whines and sometimes barks if she's upset. Darcie is very loving and friendly! 
Dougie is so very sweet. He's a bit more laid back but is also interested in making sure Darcie is ok. He is her big brother! He, at times, competes with her for attention. Dougie is a snuggler just like his sister Darcie. 
Darcie puts her paw 'on you' for attention. Dougie does random 'sit up pretties' for attention. Awwww!

Potty training: Both are doing much better than when they first got here. They go outside first thing in the morning, Darcie always does both jobs. Dougie on the other hand doesn't eat very much so he doesn't poop very much either. I am hoping once his tooth is fixed his appetite gets fixed too! He will tell me he needs to go out by pacing around. As long as I let them out periodically they do pretty fine. I have a fenced yard! No guarantees though and I'm not saying they are 100% potty trained but they are very good. They do well here. That's all I'm saying. :)

Other Dogs: Both Westies can get jealous of other dogs in the house. There can be small disagreements. It's mostly over guarding their favorite person. They currently are snuggled on the couch with my dog Asti but they can also grrrr at my dog Asti. They do not bother dogs when we are walking ...it's mostly just the competition of living in a house with four dogs and only one me! :)

Noise level: Yes, these two can really bark at sounds… even the smallest sound can start a barking stampede! A person walking down the stairs-- bark bark bark bark!! They not only bark they fly off the couch barking and run to the source of noise.  Sometimes I jump because they take me off guard. Once they find out it's nothing important they trot back to the couch and lay down again. Are you looking for a burglar alarm? No need cuz Darcie and Dougie are on the job!
Darcie and Dougie don't usually bark at other dogs on our walk though. So that is very nice!
Darcie also barks when I go to work sometimes...or if she has been put into a crate. I don't crate her anymore. Mostly they are out when I leave.  Darcie currently does not bark anymore at night when it's bedtime. Yay, good progress Darcie!! In fact last night these two went and laid right down in their pen on their own!!!  
When they go to their new adoptive home they will probably be upset again! It will be another change for these two and they may whine or bark. It's a possibility.... but every day is a new day and they will adjust more and more!  

Just a side note... they bark the most when I'm sitting with them. So again could be a protection thing. When I'm working in the kitchen or busy it's much better. 

Food: Darcie eats well. Dougie is finicky. 

Car Riding: Both jump right in. As usual, Darcie is more nervous. Dougie is more calm. I use a crate. 

Cuteness Factor: Off the charts!!!  They are adorable and will make great pets for someone who loves Westies and their very special Westie-ways!!!🌟

Life with 4 dogs! #eatingsteak 😂


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment